Edited by: Alert India Desk, New Delhi [ Published on: Jan 19, 2018 23:10[IST]
- Several heavyweight Opposition leaders have come together to address the ‘United India’ rally in Kolkata’s Brigade Parade Ground.
- At least 40 lakh people had gathered at the ground, according to the estimate given by TMC
- Addressing a press conference in response to the ‘United India rally’, BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy asked who would be the ‘prime ministerial face’ of the front
- Congress President Rahul Gandhi wrote to Banerjee, extending support to the mega Opposition rally
- Banerjee said the rally will sound the ‘death knell’ for the BJP
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee concluded the mega Opposition rally in Kolkata’s Brigade on 19 January with chants of “Badal do, badal do, Dilli mein sarkar badal do” (change the government at the Centre).
Launching a scathing attack on the BJP government, TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee said, “The Modi government is past its expiry date and in the coming days, a new dawn will descend. We will work together and it is a promise.”
The success of the united Opposition’s rally in Kolkata on 19 January afternoon has reinstated a sense of hope and belief in the mahagathbandhan’s strength, to checkmate the Narendra Modi-led NDA regime.
The dream of the All India Trinamool Congress supporters and large sections of the state’s people is to see their leader as India’s next prime minister. Chances of this hope being realised shall increase with every step the party takes towards an unprecedented hundred percent performance or winning all the 42 two seats from the state.
The message which has gone out this Sunday from Kolkata is to the rest of India. This states that disparate leaders from different regions and diverse social following can come together despite a formal declaration of a nation-wide alliance. And, all with one agenda — to vote out the present government because its policies have been ruining the lives of the people and it has destroyed the inclusive fabric of the nation.She also claimed the BJP’s seat count in the general election will not cross more than 125. The number of seats that the state parties will win will be much more than the BJP’s,
Here’s a list of Opposition party leaders were present in the rally.
Akhilesh Yadav (SP),Satish Misra (BSP),CB Naidu (TDP),MK Stalin (DMK),HD Kumaraswamy (JDS),HDDevegowda (JDS),Kharge/Singhvi (Congress),Arvind Kejriwal (AAP),Farooq Abdullah (NC),Omar Abdullah (NC),Tejaswi Yadav (RJD),Sharad Pawar (NCP),Ajit Singh/Jayant Chowdhury (RLD),Yashwant Sinha,Sharad Yadav,Shatrughan Sinha,Gegong Apang (former CM Arunachal),Arun Shourie,Hemant Soren,Hardik Patel,JigneshMevani,Lalduwahawma (Opposition leader Mizoram)